Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Obama Reins in Likudniks

Even as I was writing the previous post on Biden's outrageous remarks on behalf of the Likudniks, Obama was saying this:

it is the policy of the United States to try to resolve the issue of Iran's nuclear capabilities in a peaceful way through diplomatic channels. That is our policy, I have been talking about this for the last two years, we are going to continue to pursue this, and you know we have said directly to the Israelis that it is important to try and solve this in an international setting in a way that does not create major conflict in the Middle East....Now this is a tough job and nobody is under any illusions that it will be easy, and I've always said that we, the United States, preserve the right, and I as the commander in chief preserve the right to take whatever actions are necessary to protect the United States. But we are committed to a peaceful resolution to this conflict and I think it is still possible, but ultimately if we present an opportunity to the Iranians at some point, they've got to seize that opportunity.


Translation: "Biden, you may be here so the Likudniks can say they have a man in the White House, but that does not give you the right to make U.S. foreign policy."

At least, I hope that's the message. I will admit that it could all be a "good cop, bad cop" act. When Obama announces to the world that any air force carrying out aggressive action across the Persian Gulf will be terminated by the U.S. Navy," then we will know if he is willing to back up his words and be a force for peace. Until then, I'm crossing my fingers.

And the next time you discuss the issue of nuclear aggression, Mr. President, feel free to lift some of my ideas about principles and the common good.

No comments: